Miniature Greenhouse for Precision Agriculture

Meet the Team

This group consists of five Electrical Engineers and one Computer Engineer. As well as a Faculty Advisor and PhD Student.

Liang Dong | Faculty Advisor & Client

Xinran Wang | PhD Student

Victor Gomez | Team Communicator

Contact: vdgomez@iastate.edu

"I was born in Anaheim, California but spent a majority of my life growing up in Des Moines, Iowa. My interests in science and mathematics motivated me to pursue an Electrical Engineering degree at Iowa State University. I have a strong interest in communication systems and have gained valuable experiences both in school as well as in the industry. My main goal as an engineer is to work in the agriculture related field, so that I may do my part in helping to create efficient ways to provide food and resources to the growing population. In my spare time, I play guitar as a part-time musician in a number of bands across Iowa."

Yufeng Huan | Key Concept Holder

Contact: yufengh@iastate.edu

"After finishing my High School education in China, I came to Iowa State University to start my college career in 2012. As an International student, it was not easy for me to adapt to a new lifestyle and culture. I spent a lot of time on learning the language, but came to find what I was really interested in. After ganining basic knowledge on all areas, I realized I wanted to pursue a degree in Electrical Engineering. Creating new electrical systems and structures fascinated me, and it made me want to put more time on learning about this field. In the future, I want to be a professional Electrical Engineer and find a well-paying job. I believe there is nothing impossible with a willing heart, and that one day I can be the person I aspire to be."

Pat Martin | Key Concept Holder

Contact: pmmartin@iastate.edu

“I am an Electrical Engineer in the Analog and Digital VLSI field. I am working on the water system’s PCB, and the heating, cooling, and lighting systems with the rest of the group. I like to help out wherever I can, and I am one of the Key Concept Holders for the project. My personal web page is filled with crazy projects I've worked on in the past.”

Esdras Murillo | Team Leader

Contact: emurillo@iastate.edu

"Living outside the U.S. for the majority of my lifetime, and hearing about the ample opportunities the U.S. offered to individuals, I never imagined myself living here - much less in Iowa. I am originally from a little, tiny country in Central America called Honduras. After coming to the U.S. and starting my educational journey, I realized that my interest was in Electrical Engineering. I enjoy designing and creating better systems for buildings and structures. I am particularly interested in becoming a professional engineer and giving back to our community; one of the ways is by mentoring youth. As someone whose first language is not English and had to learn a lot upon arriving to the U.S., I know I can set an example for many others who come after me to not give up. My tenacity, drive, passion, and personal standard of excellence are key skills that will allow me to excel personally and professionally."

Romina Rivadeneira | Webmaster

Contact: rrivaden@iastate.edu

"I am an International student from Venzuela majoring in Computer Engineering with a minor in Sociology. I have always been interested in technology and - consequently - being part of that process. That is why I wanted to pursue a degree in Engineering in the United States. I am focusing mainly on Software Development and Embedded Systems design, which I hope will give me the opportunity to work on several projects that can help society as whole. My dream is to work for technology in the medical field."

Austin Zehr | Key Concept Holder

Contact: alzehr@iastate.edu

"I grew up in Mediapolis, IA after moving there from Washington, IA shortly before I started school. My interest in school has always leaned more towards the sciences, it was where I excelled and best understood the material. My dad started up his own business, Zehr Electric, around the time that I was 11 or so and from that point until I was about 16 I worked for him and helped wire houses. It became clear early on that electricity interested me and ever since then I've always known that it is the field I want to go into. My goal now is to complete my degree in Electrical Engineering at Iowa State and go to work on either distribution systems or electrical systems in commercial buildings."